Wednesday, January 02, 2013

France 2012 Day 1: Museum's in Le Marais

I traveled to Paris, France in April 2012 by myself hoping to learn more of the French language. I have been taking lessons for a while and I know that immersion is the best way to learn. What I didn't account for was the fact that many people in Paris speak English and so it is not the best place to practice your broken French.

The best thing I did on this trip was to rent a room in an apartment from a French couple who live in Paris. I asked them to speak French with me and that was basically the only opportunities I had to practice French. It is very easy to leave your hotel or apartment for the day and never speak to another person. Parisians are used to tourists and I found that when I'd try to order my food in French or buy a museum ticket, they quickly noticed me struggling with the language and would automatically speak English to me.

When I arrived in Paris I had been instructed by my host, Brigitte, to take the RER to the Nation station. The RER is a train that runs underneath the Metro.  It extends into the suburbs of Paris and makes less stops than the metro so it is a better solution for commuters and passengers going longer distances.  I took RER Line B from the Paris airport (CDG) directly to the center of Paris to the Châtelet-Les Halles station, changed to the RER A and got off at my station, Nation.  I arrived at my apartment after a quick walk and rung the bell for Brigitte.  She greeted me at the door and we squeezed into the typical tiny European elevator and rode up 5 floors to her apartment.  After a quick talk I went back to the metro station and rode Line 1 to the St. Paul station in Le Marais.  Le Marais is a neighborhood I was somewhat familiar with, so I was a bit frustrated with myself for not going somewhere new, but I had 8 more days to go somewhere new and there were museums I wanted to go to in the neighborhood.

The first museum I went to was Musee Cognacq-Jay.  This museum opened in 1929 but is housed in a building from 1575:

From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012




The Cognacq-Jay is a small museum, but it is free and I highly recommend a visit.  One of the reasons I love this museum most is because it allows you to go inside such an old home.  Some of my favorite  items from inside:

From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012



From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012



The top floor:

From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012




Just two blocks over, I arrived at my second museum of the day, Musee Carnavalet.  This museum is dedicated to the history of Paris.  My favorite room in this museum was this gilt-paneled room:

From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012



From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012



From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012



From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012



Two more blocks in the same direction, I arrived at Place des Vosges, the oldest planned square in Paris.  Maison Victor Hugo, a museum that preserves the home that Victor Hugo lived in between 1832-1848, is located here.  I sat on a bench for a while and did some people watching.

From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012



From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012



Leaving Place des Vosges out the southern end I walked down a very charming street, Rue de Birague, where I saw these giant legos!

From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012




Next I walked into Église Saint Paul-Saint Louis (Église means church in French):

From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012



I had been told by several people to get a falafel from a famous place in the Jewish quarter of Le Marais, L'as du Fallafel so I headed that way.  I must say, it was the best falafel I've ever had and I ended up coming back a few days later.

From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012



Down the street I stepped into Église Notre Dame des Blancs Manteaux:

From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012



Hôtel de Ville:

From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012



One of my favorites from my trip--just married and walking down the streets of Paris:

From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012


Presidential elections were going on in France:

From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012



and the eventual winner:

From France Day 1 - April 27, 2012

To see all my photos from Day 1 click here.

No comments: